Elizabeth A. Garner
Direct Dial: 617-227-6618
Liz practices general commercial real estate law, including the transfer, financing and leasing of commercial properties, with a particular emphasis on commercial leasing. Her leasing practice involves both owner and tenant representation, and includes office, medical office, biotechnology, industrial and retail properties.
Prior to founding Brennan, Dain, Le Ray, Wiest, Torpy & Garner, P.C., Liz was a partner at Torpy & Garner, LLC, a commercial real estate law firm that she co-founded with Joseph Torpy in 2003. Liz began her career in the Real Estate department of Testa, Hurwitz & Thibeault, LLP where she rose to the level of senior associate.
Following law school Ms. Garner clerked for Justices David Borden and Flemming Norcott of the Connecticut Supreme Court.
Recent Representative Transactions:
- Ongoing representation of national insurance company in connection with leasing of local offices throughout the United States.
- Ongoing representation of nationally prominent landlord in connection with leasing of office space in the suburban Boston area.
- Ongoing representation of national tutoring and test preparation public company in connection with local office and classroom leases throughout the United States.
- Represent both local and national law firms in connection with leasing and subleasing requirements.
- Represented developer in negotiation of ground lease with national retail tenant. Representation included associated financing, development of shopping center and further leasing of shopping center to other retail tenants.
- Represented national insurance company in negotiation of mission critical data center lease.
- Represented high-speed optoelectronic component designer/manufacturer in acquisition of new corporate headquarters, consisting of a 225,000 square foot office/industrial building on 17 acres of industrial property.
- Represented developer in sale of 90,000 square foot, multi-tenant, office building.
- Represented privately held defense contractor in connection with sale of all assets, including (i) sale of office/warehouse buildings on multi-acre, multi-parcel real property; and (ii) assignment of several commercial leases.
- Represented public consulting company in negotiation of 95,000 square foot "build to suit", corporate headquarters lease in Boston.
- Represented a medical practice in negotiation of 20,000 square foot "build to suit", medical office headquarters lease.
- Represented e-technology company in negotiation of 75,000 square foot corporate headquarters lease, and subsequent sublease and lease buy-out/termination agreement, including the restructuring of existing subleases.
- Represented pharmaceutical company in negotiation of 50,000 square foot corporate headquarters lease in multi-use building in Cambridge, with national biotech landlord.
- Represented biopharmaceutical company in negotiation of 18,000 square foot corporate headquarters lease in multi-use building.
- Boston Bar Association Leasing Committee. "Commercial Leasing Basics" Series - Panelist (Winter 2011, Winter 2010, Winter 2009, October 2004).
- Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education. Hanging your Shingle: "Location of Leasing Issues" - Panelist (2009, 2010, 2011).
- Appraisal Institute Young Leadership Group. "Options to Extend in a Commercial Office Lease: The Use of Appraisers" (May 2009).
- CLE International Fifth Annual Conference. Negotiating Leases: Landlord and Tenant Perspectives from Across the Nation: "Small Leases Workshop: Negotiating on Behalf of a Small Tenant" - Panelist (October 2007).
- CLE International Fourth Annual Conference. Negotiating Leases: A Template for Your Practice: "Operating Expenses and Audit Issues" - Panelist (May 2006).
- Boston Bar Association Leasing Committee Meeting. "Commercial Leasing Basic" Series - Committee Co-Chair and Panelist (January 2006).
- Boston Bar Association Continuing Legal Education. "Operating Expenses: Surviving an Audit" - Program Co-Chair and Panelist (November 2005).
- Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education. "Leasing in a Down Economy" - Panelist (May 2002).
Professional Activities and Honors:
- Liz is an active member of the Boston Bar Association, where she has served as the co-chair of the Real Estate Section Steering Committee.
- She is an active member and former co-chair of the Boston Bar Association Leasing Committee, where she has presented at several Committee meetings.
- She is a member of NAIOP (National Association of Industrial and Office Properties).
- In 2011 and 2012, Liz was named one of the top lawyers in New England in the Real Estate category by Super Lawyers, a joint publication of Boston Magazine and Law & Politics. The Super Lawyers comprise the top 5% of lawyers in the state.
Bar and Court Admissions:
Ms. Garner is admitted to the bars of Massachusetts and Connecticut.
J.D., University of Connecticut School of Law, 1995
BA, Amherst College, 1989